Tuesday, January 04, 2005

Una Cartita

I write this mid-day update at an Internet center while Ellie, Cesar and I wait (and wait some more) for the staff to copy two CDs full of education statistics. About an hour ago, we visited with a man in charge of collecting data for the government on school enrollment among the indigenous population. This is approximately how the exchange went, albeit in Spanish:

Us: Do you have these statistics?
Him: Yes, I do! And no one else does. *cackles*
Us: Super! Could we get a copy?
Him: Yes. It'll only take five minutes to download.
Us: Fantastic!
Him: But first you must write me a little letter [a "cartita"] asking for it.
Us: Umm. Okay. Can we bring the letter to you later today?
Him: No. We're closing in fifteen minutes.
Us: Okay, how about tomorrow?
Him: No, we'll be closed for a few days. I think we'll be open on Monday. Come back then.

It was kind of like being at the DMV--in Moscow. Afterward Ellie and Cesar concluded that he had probably wanted a bribe.

The CDs are done copying, so off I go. I had popcorn and bean soup for lunch..

No comments: