Friday, January 21, 2005

Reasons Why

"Are you always smiling?" asked the clerk at the Comfort Inn, as I trotted back into the lobby after moving my car. "Or are you just having a really good day?"

"A really good day," I confessed. "Just wait--when I come down tomorrow morning at 4 am I'll be downright grumpy."

But there was more to it than that. It was one of those days that reminded me of what I love most in DemiDec: meeting people, learning about them and their lives, understanding a little about their hopes for the future, even just exchanging quirky anecdotes. It's amazing to me in how many little ways lives can meaningfully intersect and overlap. One coach once lived up the street from my high school. One girl gave her speech entirely in Greek (and another integrated Spongebob Squarepants.) One volunteer wants to spend a year in Chile. The state director remembered that the last time we talked was in Orange County five years ago, and I wasn't sure then whether to stay with DemiDec or try something new (I eventually did both.)

In short, the day was full of good conversation and lemonade--and many, many warm and welcoming coaches, students and volunteers. Kansas state competition is the earliest each year, sort of the Iowa caucuses of the Academic Decathlon, and I'll be sure to come again.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So, will we see you at Kansas State this year?