Monday, April 04, 2005

Titan Symphony, 3rd Movement

I first discovered Mahler's first symphony as a Decathlete. Though technically we studied only the fourth movement, I prefer the middle ones. They make me think of weiner schnitzel, fog-clad mountains, and ghostly children in the forest.

The hotel staff must be wondering what I'm up to in here, what with a scrawled "do not disturb" right outside my door, and symphonies, Disney music and 90s pop drifting through it at turns.

Anyways--thesis finished, and delivery arranged. Thank you, FedEx Kinko's. Thank you, everyone.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Mimeo failed me -- I missed their cut-off for overnight delivery by about a minute. But no matter, FedEx Kinko's stepped in to save the day.

Chris Tune said...

Glad to see that you appreciate Mahler!

I've spent many an hour playing the trombone solo from Mahler's 3rd Symphony (The only really good version is out of print vinyl: The Jascha Horenstein/London Symphony Orchestra recording--with Dennis Wick playing the 1st Trombone Solo material)

Mahler was just about the "pinnacle" of late Romanticism. Of course, Vienna, roughly a century ago, was a very musically interesting town. And, Mahler was conductor of the opera in Vienna. That meant that he had access to the best musicians of the day. . .

This piece is in the key of A minor, an interesting Key. Play all notes natural: A,B,C,D,E,F,G and A and you will have the "natural" minor for A.

Easy key (well. . .there are some odd variations of minor keys. . ) and very effective!

Best
Chris Tune