Wednesday, April 06, 2005

Sesame Paste

Much like these whole last ten days, this feels too good to be true: I'm munching on (very spicy) sesame paste noodles and sipping coffee while typing at a PC with a flat-screen monitor in my own glass-enclosed, wood-paneled cubicle--all with music from "The Lion King" playing softly in the background. I think Cathay Pacific just became my new favorite airline.

This morning, Buddy, Rachel and Sharon came to see me off. I've never felt so well-taken-care-of. They called a taxi, then rode with me to another hotel where the airport bus was supposed to come every thirty minutes. We just missed it (and Victor) so we evaded (temporarily) a very eager taxi driver, and had breakfast together at Dante's.

Rachel gave me a little keychain that says, "My Heart is in NTU." I like it very much, though of course it might have been even more appropriate for Jon. Here's hoping the best for him and Tina, who, like another wonderful Tina I know in Boston, wears cool hats.

Just finished the noodles and a yummy pork bun. It'll take me days to readjust to American food... worse than jetlag is dietlag.

The music just changed to "Don't Cry for Me, Argentina." What a perfect waiting room for a Broadway fan... and speaking of Broadway, before I boarded the taxi (because in the end we gave in to its enthusiastic driver, albeit at only 1/4 of his original price) Buddy sang a slightly modified piece from Phantom:

Think of us, think of us fondly,
when we've said goodbye.
Remember us once in a while,
please promise me you'll try.


I'm pretty sure I won't need to try.

No comments: