Monday, April 25, 2005

Saluting South Carolina

I don't often post about current events, but in light of my apparent graduation from a School of Government, I thought I'd dip my feet in the pond.

First, you may have heard about recent Republican moves toward preventing Democrats from fillibustering (i.e. prolonging debate indefinitely) in order to block certain Bush appointees to the federal courts. Some conservatives, apparently including the Speaker of the House, have been making the case that Democratic senators who oppose Bush's nominees are really just against people of faith--and that these Democratic senators must themselves lack faith.

I therefore admire Republican Senator Lindsey Graham of South Carolina for urging flat-out that this stop. Sunday, he said on Fox:

"What I do not want to do is cross the line and say those who oppose these nominees are people who lack faith. I don’t believe that. I don’t think that’s appropriate."

* * *

In other news, the bodies of two children were found in a pool of sewage in Georgia. Investigators are still not sure if foul play was involved.

Right. Because children drown themselves in sewage all the time...

Between this and the train disaster in Osaka, it's been a sad day out there.

No comments: