Friday, April 07, 2006

Rehydration Packs

For some reason (well, I guess it's a self-evident reason, as I struggle to hold down a cup of tea) I'm reminded of the day after Paula, Karen and I finished hiking the Inca Trail. We had come down to Aguas Calientes, a small town a few kilometers from Machu Picchu, and spent the night bathing in their hot springs. The next morning Karen woke up very sick to the stomach. Paula and I searched the town looking for something to help her. All we could locate were cholera rehydration packs. I think they helped, though it took a while; we were delayed there a couple days while she recuperated.

I wonder where they are now. Last I checked, Paula was a medical student in Portland. That tends to take a while, so I bet she's still there. I don't know about Karen, though. She was a consultant in San Francisco. I've only seen her once since the night that we parted paths at a hookah bar in Istanbul.

No comments: