Friday, April 08, 2005

1 Or Fewer Connections

Next time, I'll remember to click that button at www.aa.com -- so that I don't end up on another 24-hour epic journey that could have taken just 13 on a nonstop (there are novels that suffer a similar problem with unnecessary protraction--see Robert Jordan.)

On the plus side, though, I had a row of five seats all to myself on the Nagoya-Chicago leg. I stretched out, stuck my hands under my pillow, and fell soundly asleep. I dreamed repeatedly of very peaceful airplane crashes--each time, we made a safe emergency landing, and in the last one, all the passengers, myself included, bobbed out wearing black-and-yellow parachutes.

For the meal--supposedly pork stroganoff with a side of sushi and a cryptic kiwi custard for dessert--the flight attendant offered a choice of silverware or chopsticks. I went with the chopsticks.

Somewhere over the Pacific I also wrote an article for the Octopus: "John Kerry Elected Pope; Takes Name 'John John'". No offense intended to Roman Catholics or supporters of John Kerry.

2 comments:

Chris Tune said...

What is the "Octopus"? I'd be interested in thinking about John Kerry as Pope. But only under "certain" circumstances:

CIRCUMSTANCES FOR CONSIDERATION AS HIGH RELIGIOUS OFFICIAL
Kerry sees a vision--an obvious message from a very REAL GOD. This deity tells John Kerry that he must forego wealth and fame and power. . .and must love EVEN his enemy. . . say, for example: George Bush.

W and Kerry become friends. . .both having TRULY accepted a force more powerful than themselves into their lives. . .

NAAAAH!!!!!!

Chris Tune
San Fernando Valley, (north of L.A.)
CA

http://www.christune.com

Unknown said...

Thanks for the comments, Chris! The Octopus is kind of like a student version of the Onion (www.theonion.com) published at the Kennedy School of Government. It's fun to write spoof articles for them from time to time.