Wednesday, October 15, 2008

We Are Foreign People

I don't rant in here often, unless you count my political posts. So allow me a moment, please.

I've been blessed with the chance to grow up not just in America, but in a part of the country where diversity is a fact of life. Yes, I attended high school at a time when sentiments against illegal immigrants were running hot--and I'm ashamed that I let them get to me as much as they did. (My father immigrated illegally from Chile.) Both before and after that, however, I've felt very little to make me uneasy about my background. (I suppose I'm also blessed with the ability to look native in lots of places, even northern China.)

Tonight, though, was one of those moments when I spotted something ugly lurking underneath a pleasant face.

My parents are selling their house. Long story short, they're running into some trouble with the buyer over water intrusion issues. Their real estate agent (one Jeff Gysin, theoretically representing them, and, indeed, professionally pleasant) wrote the following to the other agent.

"They are foreign people and don’t understand."

He then accidentally forwarded it to my parents. There's more, but that's the gist of it. In one sentence, he undermines his own clients and pinpoints their origin as the reason why they're being uncooperative.

In a phone call, he denied ever writing it. Ugly.

There's prejudice in the private sphere (bad enough) and then there's exposing it in your professional life. It's especially frustrating that my parents thought this man was looking out for their interests, when apparently he was just hearing their accents.

No comments: