Saturday, February 19, 2005

One Hundred and Thirty-Two

I may have some explaining to do at U.S. Customs. I now own 132 alpacas, of which 2 are large, 16 medium, and 114 compact. All are soft, though 35 are less soft than the others. Sadly and also happily, they won't stay in the family long: they're meant as gifts for DemiDec subscribers and team members.

I'm in the town of Otavalo, which Lonely Planet claims has the most famous indigenous market in South America. I'm not sure about its fame, but I can't dispute its size: stalls disappear down every street and fill every plaza. The alpacas, however, were cheapest at an actual store, where Orazio bargained hard on DemiDec's behalf.

Afterward, the three of us came across a woman selling puppies. One was a castellano, Eli´s desired breed. We took turns holding it, and during her turn Eli determined it was a she. Around then she made a small noise and fell asleep.

They weren't sure how to buy it now, as they were on vacation (Eli won't be back in Quito till Tuesday.) The vendor, sensing but misinterpreting their hesitation, offered to lower the price from eight dollars to maybe five or six.

Eli and Orazio ended up passing on this one, but giving their phone number to the vendor. I asked her to keep an eye open for Pomeranians. If she had been selling an American Eskimo, I think I'd be holding it now... sorry, Misty.

No comments: