Monday, February 14, 2005

Death and Continuation

On our way to La Casa Sol, the manager of my airport shuttle service confessed that her father and fiancé had both died in the last year, one of disease, the other in a car accident. She was in good spirits, considering.

I wonder if it´s just the altitude´s passing effect on my brain, but my Spanish seems more fluent than it did a month ago. We´ll see if it stays that way tomorrow.

My room is the same as last time, except one floor down. This trip, though, I came prepared with an Itty Bitty Book Light, so I can read more comfortably.

Speaking of reading, I finished another novel today, The Confessions of Max Trivoli. It´s the story of a boy born an old man in 1871, a three-part love affair with a woman who doesn't recognize him each time they meet as he ages backward toward infancy. Very well-written, and if not haunting, still memorable. Recommended.

No comments: