Monday, November 19, 2007

Enjoy the Experience

I just arrived at my fourth hotel of the day. First, the one in which I briefly showered, changed and edited ditties in Manila. Second, the one I had ostensibly reserved here in Singapore, named for Captain Sulu's old ship. It, however, blamed a burst water pipe on the 24th floor and sent me somewhere else, except it was the wrong somewhere else: there are two Park Royals in town. At any rate, I'm now settled in a triple, very sleepy, not really ready for five meetings today, including with my old friends from ACS who came to Worlds last year.

Also, I should note that Manila seemed less shopping mall and more parking lot to me, but that may simply have been the road to the airport. A variety of public transportation options, too. Little sidecars attached to taxi-like motorcycles ("tricycles"), open-air SUVs with passengers crowded to the edge, a hammock strung on the back of a pickup truck... the last wasn't exactly public, but seemed like a very good idea.

Last thought: it's love at first flight with Cebu Pacific. When checking in, I had pointed out my pillow (it usually comes up) and how nice it would be to have a row in which to sleep on it. "I'll block one off," said the woman behind the counter, smiling. She really did it, and I stretched out and slept for three solid hours. A bargain for a flat bed.

Speaking of bargains, Singapore's Budget Terminal offers this slogan when you disembark: "Enjoy the experience." The experience was fine. Dozens of cabs. And an immigrations officer who didn't mind that I had filled out my form in green pencil.

No comments: