Thursday, October 11, 2007

America or Burst

"Sometimes I think my life is like a sitcom," I said to Craig, a few seconds after a large pepper grinder on the stove clattered into me, and eleven hours after we searched the apartment for a pink blanket that turned out to be under his bedspread.

"Daniel," he responded, "We all think your life is like a sitcom."

The other night we played an informal round of "name that tune" with sitcom songs from the 1980s; I instantly recognized the theme from Perfect Strangers. I learned a lot of life lessons from Balki, the sheepherder with a dance of joy who got himself (and his cousin Larry) into one curious fix after another.

As a kid, I was a Star Trek fan foremost, but Star Trek was only silly by accident; I'm often silly on purpose.

1 comment:

The Barefoot Lawyer said...

Daniel, we're all often silly on purpose.