Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Mishaps

This morning, I had surgery on my right knee, five months after falling (for no particular reason) at an Academic Decathlon camp in Northern California. Since then it's hurt to run and to climb steps, both things I like to do (for example, to catch a flight at the last minute.) The surgeon found, and removed, a centimeter-diameter "rock" jammed in my knee joint.

Naturally, I gave him and the nurses alpacas.

I now have a bottle of Percocet I hope not to take, two crutches I probably won't need to use, at least not at the same time, except when I'm avoiding falling down the stairs, and a pouch of ice that I won't let out of my sight for at least another day. All in all, it's been a very relaxing day, with episodes of 24 sandwiched around mailing out of DemiDec applications. By Sunday I'll be on my way back to Korea.

In fact, my only post-operative mishap involved stepping in a puddle of puppy pee, which isn't uncommon, given that my dad likes to keep a special rug for the puppies to pee on (he claims otherwise, but it is the perfect color, fogettable brown, to hide nearly anything unmentionable.)

No comments: