Wednesday, March 22, 2006

The Closest I've Ever Been to Hawaii

After a long absence, I'll see if I can rouse this blog back to life.

Last night I returned to Korea. On the plane, I sat next to a small Japanese man in a tophat.

I'm back to work with David Kimel to start an academic competition for middle and/or high school students. We've dubbed it (tentatively) Scholar's Cup. Our hope is that someday it would become the Scholar's World Cup. I'm convinced it could succeed, but as with many plans, it's not clear how to execute it. We'll see what happens. But something's bound to.

David found me a place to stay: the Hawaii Hotel. It's a mid-sized, perfectly rectangular black structure with small windows looking out on a construction pit. This is how he describes it:

"...in the area, very comfortable (American television, Internet access in every room, near a giant mall, etc.) and pretty cheap (about 50-60 bucks a night, if memory serves)."

I should add that it's also the most decked-out hotel room I've ever been in. There's a Sparkletts-style water dispenser. Gigantic shampoo, conditioner and body wash pumps. Shaving cream, toothpaste, something called an "emulsion." A computer with an LCD monitor. Robes. Sandals. And, tucked discreetly by the bed, two complimentary packets of condoms.

"It's a business hotel," the woman at the front desk assured me, when I asked for a discount.

I see. Business. Uh-huh.

No comments: