Monday, August 04, 2008

Sanjai's Wedding

Believe it or not, the picture below has nothing to do with this year's presidential election.


Nearly a decade ago, my friend Sanjai and I participated in the first-ever Shakespearean political protest in Washington, D.C.. (We were the only participants.) We created a sign that looked a lot like this one and marched up and down the street in front of the White House until the Secret Service shooed us away.

I recreated the sign to use as a surprise visual aid for my toast at Sanjai's wedding. It worked; Sanjai looked dumbfounded as he pulled it out from under a rug. Since I had given an otherwise identical speech at his previous wedding, I figured I had to shake it up a little. (The previous wedding was the previous weekend, and to the same woman; otherwise, I'd have written a new toast.)

Behind it, you can see VNS Chicken, an up-and-coming Korean fried chicken chain whose owner also dabbles in SAT prep. SAT prep has its share of critics, but it is better for you than fried chicken.

No comments: