Wednesday, May 14, 2008

The Obama Comma

It struck me tonight that the reader comments on articles about the Democratic primary race remind me of book reviews on Amazon of The Da Vinci Code.

At least when I last looked at those reviews, about a year ago, most of those critical of The Da Vinci Code were highly literate, well-written, even stylish. They also tended to be grammatically sound. (There were exceptions, of course, especially those that criticized the novel not for flat characters or a predictable plot, but for its sacrilegious content.) Reviews praising the novel had a lot more mistakes in them - and sweeping assertions.

I'm finding that, in general, comments in support of one of the two remaining Democratic candidates are much less well written than those in support of the other. They tend to use more all caps and exclamation points. I leave it to you to determine which candidate I mean.

No comments: