Monday, January 03, 2005

Coco Loco

A mid-day update: it's time to finish my paper on New Jersey newspaper coverage of terrorism during the presidential election. To that end, after working with Grupo Faro on education reform in the morning, helping to cook lunch and then exploring a supermarket, I've settled down at an Internet cafe called "Friends."

The place is comfortable. The music is less loud than at Papaya.Net, and I've been able to connect my own laptop at a seat facing an open window to the sidewalk. It's like working on a balcony.

I'm dressed up a bit today. Standard Silicon Valley garb (khaki pants, a blue shirt) plus an extra-long black blazer. As it turns out, it was overkill for the meeting this morning, but maybe it'll help me concentrate.

The menu includes a coffee called a "coco loco." Coffee and coconut: it sounded good. When I ordered, however, the waiter warned me that it contains coconut liquor. Maybe today I look underage? I was about to switch to something more conventional, then I realized that at this point, with the paper due tomorrow and my frustration with it at an all-time high, a little alcohol couldn't possibly hurt. It worked for Hemigway, but then, Hemingway didn't take a class with Maxine Isaacs.

A man just stopped in the window to try and sell me burned CDs. He's dragging a roll-on suitcase with him, presumably full of merchandise.

Anyway, time to (carefully) sip my Coco Loco and analyze articles ad infinitum. Back tonight.

No comments: