Friday, December 17, 2004

Arrival

My first blog got erased by a temperamental Pentium III here in downtown Villahermosa, so I will try again, and still without any idea how to get an apostrophe out of this keyboard. I miss using contractions. Wait, never mind, I found it. Directly to the right of the 0 key. Which means my next word will be a contraction.

Let's see, then... where to begin... the most unusual thing I ran into today was not the Mexican national champion futbol team, which got kind of drunk between Cancun and Mexico City. No, it was the sushi: tuna and avocado wrapped in rice rolled in fried bananas, topped with chipotle sauce.

Oh, a note on airport logistics. To transfer between flights in Cancun, you have to go through immigration, leave the airport, fend off hungry taxi drivers and then walk down the street to the departure terminal. Fortunately, I ran this gauntlet in good company, with a Canadian man who rambled a bit about the steel industry and error tolerance in plasma TVs.

More to come. Tomorrow (Saturday): a bus to the Mayan ruins at Palenque, which either leaves twice a day, once an hour, or every thirty minutes, depending on whom you ask.

No comments: